Project 510 – Coilovers

Finally the Datto gets some serious upgrades. Enough of the polishing, painting and little fiddly bits, its time for the good gear.

Troy Ermish Racing (USA) rear coilovers & Datsport (AUS) adjustable rear crossmember DIY kit.

dsc00532

dsc00534

The rear crossmembers can either be bought as a complete unit (subject to a change-over policy), or you can buy the parts separate and weld them on yourself. I chose the DIY kit because my crossmember already had an enlarged hole for my 3″ exhaust, plus I got a good price to weld it all together so it worked out cheaper.

The rear coilovers bolt into where the shock absorbers used to be, therefore the rear end is no longer a separate shock/spring setup.

dsc00622

The adjustable tabs are welded on to the crosemember where the lower A arms attach to allow for camber/caster adjustment. Being a 40 year old Independent Rear Suspension design, these cars get heaps of negative camber when you lower them. This kit allows you to control that.

dsc00620
On to the front end…

Koni Yellow Damper Adjustable front shock absorbers (Z31), T3 weld-on ground control coilover kit, T3 camber tops, and Nissan America 1″ bump steer spacers (lucky find).

dsc00758
imgp4958

The struts were shortened 50mm to suit the shorter shocks. Here is one assembled strut.
imgp4954

Before I put them in the car, I wanted to try out a little experiment to see if I could suppress a bit of the noise that coilovers are notorious for. I looked around for something circular that I could wrap around the top and bottom coils. I ended up finding what I was looking for right infront of me, the rubber dust boots from my old shocks.

I cut off a ring like so…

imgp4973

And then wrapped it around the top and bottom coil…

imgp4975

imgp4977

imgp4976

Hopefull this softens a bit of the metal-on-metal contact. (Also you can see that I cut the bump-stops in the above picture)

One more bit of work before the struts were re-installed. I painted the inner guards with some Chassis Black chip-resistant paint.

Before:
dsc00770

After:
imgp4983

Bump-steer spacers:
imgp4985

Camber tops:
imgp4987

So now’s the part where I show you pictures of the car sitton on its guts? Well sorry but you’re going to have to wait just a little bit longer, the next update will definitely show the car slammed, along with one other visual modification, here’s a hint…

imgp4988

🙂

Advertisements

~ by anth on April 17, 2009.

One Response to “Project 510 – Coilovers”

  1. Good to see it happening. Need to start using show more tags in your posts though, took forever to load 🙂

    Cheeers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: