Project 510 – Grille, Badge, Wheels

Back to the front of the car again. It’s finally time to fix the missing piece of the grille.

dsc_0101

Chris, a fellow Datsun 1600 owner, sent me a later model (72) grille which had the top slat broken off, perfect for what I need it for. Here’s the piece I’m talking about.

dsc_0102

It’s not exactly the same as the ’69 model, but once it’s painted you won’t be able to tell.

I made up some small L shaped brackets out of aluminium and pop-riveted them to the loose grille piece.

dsc_0111

Then I drilled some holes in the grille on this convenient flat section to attach the new piece to.

dsc_0112

Finally the two pieces came together.

dsc_0120

Later the whole grille was resprayed grey, so the two middle slats are no longer polished. You’ll see pics at the end of the post of the complete front end.

Another problem I’ve been meaning to address for a while is the lack of “Datsun 1600” badge on the passenger side front quarter panel/fender.

dsc_0117

Luckily I have a couple of boxes of spare parts, and I had a feeling that I had one of these badges hiding away somewhere.

dsc_0114

Bingo! It’s a bit worse for wear.

dsc_0116

When I took it out of the box I was a bit dissapointed because I thought the chrome was flaking off. But just to be sure I gave it a bit of a rub with some steel-wool and metal polish.

dsc_0118

Well it turns out that it wasn’t flaking off, it was just black paint which had preserved its condition. Good as new!

dsc_0119

You complete me.

The next issue that I’ve been meaning to get to is the small bits of rust on the very front edge of the bonnet where the chrome trim screws to the body. I think the trim has worn away at the paint and started to form some surface rust.

dsc_0123

Trim removed for a better view. Not pretty…

dsc_0124

I masked up the surrounding areas and rubbed back the paint a little bit to remove the rust

dsc_0127

Then it was hit with a couple of coats of paint.

dsc_01281

The front end all reassembled with fixed/painted grille and no more bonnet rust…

dsc_0130

It’s so much better now that you can’t see the radiator support when you look at the front of the car. (Go back up to the first image if you’re not sure what I’m talking about)

dsc_0129

I also fitted some bonnet pins because I wasn’t happy with the amount of movement in the bonnet when going anywhere above 60km/h

dsc007561

And finally, the wheels were given some attention in the form of a bit of paint & polish.

Before
dsc_02141

Polished:
dsc_02201

Painted:
dsc00667

Hope you enjoyed this update. Next one will see the car getting some decent suspension upgrades and a fair ride-height reduction, so stay tuned!

Advertisements

~ by anth on April 9, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: